• 21 OCT 14
    • 0
    Colorado Baptists are challenged at the 59th Annual Meeting to Be The Church

    Colorado Baptists are challenged at the 59th Annual Meeting to Be The Church

    AnnualMeeting2014

    Colorado Baptists got together at Community of Grace Church, Centennial, on October 13-14, 2014 for our 59th Annual Meeting.

    Tracy Simmons, Pastor of Christ Community Church, Anchorage, AK, along with Community of Grace’s worship team, led us in music and worship in each session of the annual meeting. Tracy got into full-time ministry in the early 1990s leading in worship, musicals, youth ministry, choir/band/orchestra and preaching. The songs of praise and worship were outstanding.

    Mike Atherton, President, Colorado Baptist General Convention, presented the theme of the annual meeting: BE THE CHURCH…Be Developed, Be Sent, Be Generous, and stated “God has called us to be something before he has called us to do something”.  Mike challenged pastors to pray Ephesians 3:19-20 over their churches daily.

    Dr. Jason Allen, President of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, was the guest speaker in the Monday and Tuesday evening sessions.  Dr. Allen used scripture references II Timothy 3:1-4:5 and Luke 16:1-13 and spoke about the church in light of current culture. “The stance of ‘status quo’ for a church is disasterous” he stated.

    Dr. Allen gave these challenges:

    • Continue to grow in your salvation
    • Believe the Scriptures
    • The world needs a church that BELIEVES the Bible from its innermost being.
    • Preach the Word
    • Be sober in all things

    In his second message he asked “Are we exercising faithfulness & generosity? … What is the state of your heart in relation to the world around? … The issue is not that your church, Convention, SBC Convention need more money…the issue is more people need Christ.”

    • Invest in eternity first
    • Expect God to bless you accordingly
    • Keep your priorities straight

     

    Pastor Joel Bundick, Community of Grace, gave the annual meeting sermon in session II.  Pastor Bundick read from John 4:3-4 and spoke about worship and forgiveness.  Worship in spirit and truth. That is the kind of worship the Father sees.

    New pastors/ministers in Colorado churches in the past year were introduced: Scott Morter, Arapahoe Road Centennial; Jeremy Edwards, High View Woodland Park; Paul Trimble, Bent Tree Loveland; Ralph Helen, Bent Tree Loveland; Darrell Morgan, Cornerstone Lone Tree; Kyle Vatole, Community of Grace Centennial; Seth Alexander, International Christian Fellowship Colorado Springs; Tim O’Reiley, International Christian Fellowship Colorado Springs; Randy Armstrong, Open Range Craig; Greg Judy, Mountain View LaVeta.

    New churches welcomed into the Convention are: Country Gospel Cowboy Church-Evans, Pastor Johnny Lee; Church of the Open Door-Florence, Pastor Henry Adams; Elevation Church-Loveland, Pastor Angus McKinley; Belmar Baptist Church-Lakewood, Pastor Derald Gautier; Bent Tree Church-Loveland, Pastor Paul Trimble; Calvary Baptist Church of Littleton, Pastor Dan Freng

    Dr. Michael (Mike) Atherton, Pastor of Cornerstone Church, Lone Tree, was elected to a second term as President of the Colorado Baptist General Convention.  Ray Shirley, Pastor of Monument Baptist Church, Grand Junction, was re-elected as 1st Vice President, and Mike Hensley, Pastor of Heart of the Springs Baptist Church, Colorado Springs, was re-elected as 2nd Vice President.  Ginger LeBlanc was re-elected as Recording Secretary.

    The proposed 2015 budgets for the Colorado Baptist General Convention, Baptist Foundation of Colorado, and Ponderosa Retreat and Conference Center were approved by the messengers.  Colorado Baptists have committed to giving an estimated $605,765 to World Missions, SBC in 2015 (50.5% of Cooperative Program contributions after shared expenses) with the remaining 49.5% of Cooperative Program receipts remaining in Colorado for missions and ministry.  Cooperative Program contributions along with North American Mission Board funding ($1.587M), LifeWay Christian Resources funding based on Annual Church Profile statistics reported by Colorado Baptists churches and other designated income make up the balance of our anticipated budget of $3.7M.  We are so thankful for our partners in ministry.

     

    Leave a reply →